Facts About Pediatric & Childhood Cancer
- 1 in 285 children will be diagnosed with cancer
- 43 children per day or 15,780 children per year are expected to be diagnosed with cancer
- More than 95% of childhood cancer survivors will have a significant health related issue by the time they are 45 years of age (2); these health related issues are side-effects of either the cancer or more commonly, the result of its treatment.
- Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease among children.
- Since 1980, only two drugs, both used in the treatment of ALL have been approved in the first instance for use in children and only four more new drugs have been approved for use by both adults and children
- Since 1980, fewer than 10 drugs have been developed for use in children with cancer
- The average cost of a stay in a hospital for a child with cancer is $40,000 per stay
- Only 4% of federal government cancer research funding goes to children
Source: Coalition Against Childhood Cancer